Thursday, November 20, 2008

Just Sayin...

I don't hate gay people.  Not even a little bit.  I can't imagine battling as hard of a trial as same sex attraction.  That being said, I really love this quote by William Wilbanks, a frequently quoted Law Professor from some big deal University that I can't remember right now.  

"I call it the New Obscenity.  It's not a four-letter word, but an oft repeated statement that strikes at the very core of our humanity.  The four words are "I can't help myself."  

This philosophy sees man as an organism being acted upon by biological and social forces, rather than as an agent with free will.  It views offenders not as sinful or criminal but as "sick". By ignoring the idea that people face temptations that can and should be resisted, it denies the very quality that separates us from the animals."

         -William Wilbanks.

I have nothing against gay people, I have everything against the argument that they were "born that way."

2 comments:

lauh-ren said...

i do not agree. they have had studies that have proven that it is not a choice for some.

i mean, i think it is sick when people choose to be that way--it is wrong. but i still accept them and think that they should be allowed to have rights like married couples do--but don't agree that it should be called "marriage" since marriage has been defined as being between a man and a woman for a long, long time.

Michelle said...

what studies? I've studied this heavily in school and i've never heard of any studies that say people were born gay. There are many studies that show differences in people's brain patterns causing them to have gay tendencies but ultimately, it is still a choice.

Like i said, I don't hate gay people, i just don't want them to be able to be legally married. That would take away many of my rights, one of them being my right to raise my children in a world where I can teach them about morality and the sanctity of marriage, without adding to their confusion by allowing gay people to be legally married